Explorers Post 198
The intent of Boulder City Police Department Explorers is to educate and involve youth in police operations, to interest them in possible law enforcement careers, and to build mutual understanding. Exploring provides an understanding of the law enforcement function within the community, whether one enters the field of law enforcement or not. Through involvement, the Explorer program establishes an awareness of the complexities of police service. While police personnel remain the key to success, other reliable citizens can also become involved in the Exploring program.
The Law Enforcement Explorer program will further the Explorers education by providing them with a basic knowledge of the field of law enforcement including criminal law, traffic law, criminal investigation, crime prevention, traffic control and direction, accident investigation, juvenile delinquency, and other related fields which are an integral part of law enforcement.
- Every Monday
- 5 p.m.
Newcomers are welcome and parents are welcome to attend as well. Please no shorts, flip flops or tank tops.
The Explorers Post 198 offers the following to participants:
- An opportunity to learn about the Boulder City Police Department and the duties of a police officer
- The opportunity to ride with police officers on patrol
- The opportunity to receive instruction in a variety of police procedures including but not limited to:
- Arrest techniques
- Building searches
- Evidence collection
- Firearms training
- Report writing
- Vehicle stops
- Patrol training
- Tactical competitions
- K-9 Demo
- An opportunity to participate in community events and department activities.
- The opportunity to attend law enforcement competitions with other Explorer Posts, both in-state and out of state.
- The opportunity to learn about other agencies in Clark County, as well as state and federal agencies
Some of the events explorers have worked include:
- Art in the Park
- Boulder City Christmas Parade
- National Night Out
- The Dam BBQ
- Candidates must be between the ages of 16 and 20 years old
- Currently attending high school, have graduated or obtained a GED
- Be of good moral habits with no arrests or convictions for serious offenses or multiple minor offenses
- Maintain a "C" average or better while attending school
- Be drug, chemical and alcohol free
- Attend weekly training classes and / or meetings
- Have the desire to learn and have fun
Sergeant Craig Tomao
Phone: 702-293-9224, ext: 330
Officer Kevin Barakat
Phone: 702-293-9224, ext: 623
Officer Kenny Calzada
Phone: 702-293-9224, ext: 635; or
Officer Giovanni Torcaso
Phone: 702-293-9224, ext: 646
1005 Arizona Street
Boulder City, NV 89005